I’ve been sick with a cold this week so my husband made me our favorite “Easy Trader Joe’s Chicken Soup” to get me through feeling yucky. I call it “Trader Joe’s” because it’s easiest if you have a TJs to buy these supplies, but you can also use your own fresh ingredients.
Easy TJs Chicken Soup
- 1/2 container pre-chopped celery/carrot/onion (mirepoix mix in TJs fridge section)
- 1 bag of broccoli slaw (slivered broccoli and carrots – Mann’s also makes a good version of this)
- 1 pack pre-sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 bag frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- TJs garlic powder
- 2 chicken breasts (frozen boneless/skinless)
- water or 2 cartons chicken broth (make sure gluten-free)
Start off with olive oil in a stockpot, pour in the mirepoix mix and saute. Add the slaw, mushrooms, and peas and stir until evenly coated.
Add 2 cartons of stock or enough water to generously cover the vegetables. Once boiling, throw in chicken breasts whole, turn down the heat, and once the chicken starts floating at the top of the water and looking done, pull it out and slice it up on a cutting board into bite-sized pieces and throw it back in the soup. Give it all a low simmer for another 30 minutes or more, add seasonings to taste, and there you go – easy homemade chicken soup that’ll see you through any cold.
Even non-allergenic folk can make this soup and chuck those sodium-laden, tasteless cans in their cupboards. Nothing beats homemade chicken soup 🙂